North Korea has threatened a preemptive nuclear strike against all foreign aggressors, most specifically the United States.
Over the last few months, North Korea has been testing and expanding its nuclear and rocket capabilities in response to the UN shaming and placing sanctions on their nation. This week, the U.N. has placed new sanctions after they announced their threat to attack aggressors with nuclear technology.
The sanctions are as follows (Thank you to Redditor Todo88 for this summarization):
- Ban on exporting luxury goods to North Korea (intended to target goods used by North Korea’s elite)
- Freeze on all North Korean money thought to be connected to missile programs
- Ban on financial support for anything related to missile programs
- Travel sanctions that would effectively force out all expats working for North Korean ventures
- All North Korean cargo must be inspected
- 3 arms dealers and 2 international organizations have been specifically targeted and sanctioned (from here)
Some countries have stated that these sanctions won’t actually stop DPRK at all, but no one can be sure.
North Korea has accused the US of training their troops and South Korea’s troops for war, and has in turn denounced the armistice that was set in after the 1950-53 Korean War.
National Post created an impressive infograph about the capabilities of the North Korean missiles and the maximum distance that each of their missiles could reach check it out!
Based on the graph, DPRK has the capabilities of obtaining nuclear and biological weapons and their missiles could reach as far as Egypt or Texas.
Do you think these sanctions set in place by the UN will hinder the DPRK or just force North Korea to take action?